Child Protection Policy Statement
West Dunbartonshire Amateur Swimming Club is committed to the belief that children and young people have much to gain from swimming. Their natural sense of fun and spontaneity can blossom in a positive sporting environment and swimming provides an excellent opportunity for children to learn new skills, to become more confident and to maximise their own unique potential. The club will, however, always place the needs of the child first and competition second. Within this context, the welfare of children is the responsibility of all involved in the club – officials, coaches, parents, friends and children themselves – particularly when it comes to protecting children from abuse.
The underlying principles with respect to child protection exercised at the club are that:
- The child’s welfare is the first consideration.
- All children, regardless of age, any disability they have, gender, racial origin, religious belief and sexual identity have a right to be protected from abuse.
- Children and young people must be treated with integrity and respect.
- Swimming programmes and competitions will be relevant to their ages and stages of development.
All coaches and our adult helpers are members of the Scottish Amateur Swimming Association and the club is committed to following the current guidelines on child protection as set out by Scottish Swimming. The club:
- Aims to create an enjoyable environment, where young people have the right to be safe, secure and free from threat.
- Acknowledges that young people have the right to be treated with respect and for their concerns to be listened to and acted upon.
- Aims to ensure that junior members have specific programmes designated for them, with adequate supervision.
- Is committed to ensuring that all helpers, whatever their role, sign and adhere to a code of conduct.
- Provides clear, comprehensive and easily understood procedures for dealing with allegations of abuse and deals with requests for help and support on a confidential basis.
- Is committed to an equitable recruitment selection policy for coaches.
- Will always emphasise fair play.
The Club Child Protection Officer is:Susan Johnston Tel no. 07910057538